|Capacity Strengthening for Private Sector Development - Phase III
|Type of project
|Private Sector Development
|Origin of funding
|Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH, Eschborn, Germany
|01/2019 - 12/2021
The project is an integral part of the Private Sector Development (PSD) project in Myanmar, entitled “Strengthening capacities of the private sector”, which aims to improve the framework conditions and the provision of services for the integration of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSMEs) into value chains.
The new PSD program is not focusing on selected value chains but is working mainly in tourism, agricultural and agro-processing. The project is improving the environment for trade and investment and promoting the integration of MSMEs into value chains, in cooperation with leading companies. With innovations and the introduction of digital solutions in MSMEs, the project fosters value creation, competitiveness and market access.
Key outputs of the project are:
- The capacities of selected national and subnational institutions in the fields of trade policy and trade promotion are strengthened.
- The capacities of selected national and subnational institutions, that are in charge of investment facilitation and investment promotion, are strengthened.
- Enterprises and their suppliers in selected value chains are participating in development partnerships with the private sector.
- MSMEs have improved access to services and products which promote innovation as well as information and communication technology (ICT).
PEM CONSULT implements the activities required to achieve the outputs 3 and 4. Conflict- and gender-sensitively designed Development Partnerships with the Private sector (DPP) are formulated and MSMEs in selected value chains are linked with leading companies that can provide market access, technology transfer and/ or improved services. The sectors include among others tourism, agriculture/ agro-processing and waste management and recycling.
Furthermore, the project facilitates access of MSMEs in rural areas to providers of innovative products and services. Needs and opportunities for innovations and ICT-services are identified as well as potential tech companies and service providers. The exchange between MSMEs and the services providers is promoted, and matchmaking and start-up events take place to trigger the creation or transfer of innovations.
The provided services include among others:
- Project implementation
- Coordination with GIZ Program in PSD and VET
- Capacity building
- Institutional development
- Acquisition of development partnerships with the private sector (DPP)
- Introduction of innovations and digital solutions in MSMEs involved in the DPPs
- Identification of needs and opportunities for innovations and ICT-services in rural areas
- Organization of matchmaking and start-up events to trigger the creation or transfer of innovations