|Implementation of a National Survey and Communication Plan for the Water Sector
|Type of project
|Ministry of Water Resources (MRE), Algiers
|Origin of funding
|European Commission - EuropeAid, Brussels, Belgium
|08/2008 - 07/2010
The project contributed to the development of a water culture within the Algerian population in order to introduce changes in behaviour, attitude and customs in favour of a rational use of the water resource.
This was reached through the following measures:
- Support to the Ministry and its relevant departments regarding the elaboration of a communication plan for the whole sector;
- Contributing to the improvement of the water sector skills with emphasis on the relationship of consumers towards the water resource;
- Supporting the understanding of consumers regarding the major water sector strategies and their implementation, efforts, problems and constraints.
The results of the project comprised:
- Identification of the main wastage sources and domestic water use practices;
- Improvement of the consumers’ skills regarding water usage;
- Elaboration of a relevant and reliable communication plan for the water sector;
- Contribution to a new water culture based on environmental and cost awareness leading to new behaviours;
- Improvement of consumers’ skills regarding the water sector problematic, its institutions, its implementations and constraints;
- Realisation of relevant communication activities, such as spots and videos.