|Title||Samsun Solid Waste Management Project - Training Consultancy|
|Type of project||Ecology|
|Client||Samsun Greater Municipality|
|Origin of funding||Kfw Development Bank, Frankfurt, Germany|
|Duration||05/2003 - 12/2005|
The task as “Training Consultants” was to innovate the waste management system in Samsun.
The primary goal of the overall “Samsun Solid Waste Management Project” was the improvement of the environmental conditions and the protection of natural resources and human health in Samsun by means of implementing an efficiently-organised system, which under the given conditions is environmentally sound but also economically sustainable. The training consultants took into account the changing legislative environment for waste management and the activities covered the following measures:
- Creation of new institutions;
- Set-up of waste planning mechanisms;
- Subsequent introduction of a new cost-related tarif structure;
- Implementation of pilot projects of solid waste treatment;
- Design of a beneficial public-private partnership for landfill operations;
- Community participation and public relations.